Cooking with Lisp

Another blog about Lisp, the world's greatest programming language.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Public Thanks for the Movies

I want to publicly thank Marco Baringer and Rainer Joswig for the recent movies they've provided lately. I think they're great demos for someone starting out or for showing someone interested in Common Lisp.

I had a non-Lisper watch Rainer's movie on DSL creation and he certainly came away pretty impressed by how fast and easy it was to do what Rainer demonstrated.

I really want to thank Marco for providing such a full-featured demonstration of SLIME. A lot of people starting out in Lisp don't quite get how to manage the minute-by-minute development tasks of editing code, debugging it, looking up documentation, etc. Especially debugging. I remember when I started out in Lisp a long time ago, it was really hard for me to wrap my head around what the debugger was really trying to tell me and how to effectively use it. Marco does a great job of showing how to use the SLIME debugger.

I think that just about everyone can learn something about SLIME that they weren't aware of. Even though I was aware of them, I came away with a better awareness of the cross referencing tools, as I never really bothered to learn how they work.

Once of the interesting things that Marco shows is his use of structured editing, that is, '(' creating balanced parens and ')' moving past the closing paren. He discusses this in his Editing Lisp Code in Emacs page on CLiki (which is a very helpful guide if you haven't read it yet) and I remember trying those before and not really being happy about how it worked, but seeing how it worked in the video, I'm going to try them again.

10 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, Marcos videos have helped me get started, thank you Marco.
L

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Editor said...

hey great blog, you're interested in cooking supply right? I have the best website about cooking supply

 
At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Henk said...

Hello,
I noticed that you have an interest in Music and movies just like me. I started this new site about music, movies and games downloading so if you are interested feel free to visit.
Greetings
Henk

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Movie Downloads said...

Nice blog. Enjoying the break Looking for good blogs about fast movie downloads. Found some cool stuff here. I have a fast movie downloads review site. It has good info. Visit if you have the time or the notion. Have a good day. fast movie downloads

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

 
At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Find everything needed - from , books, movies on DVD and VHS, and Music on Cassette and CD, and the hottest books, video games, home electronics, computers, fabulous perfumes - to everyday stuff to make home or

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous wow said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! I'll make sure to visit regularly. Keep blogging!

I have a website on Website Traffic which you might be interested in. Please check it out if you get some time :)

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger tigerjim14 said...

This is a great post here...I could not agree more! Dedicated to inform the public on relative issues. Keep up the great work!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Adli Yusof said...

Hi,

Nice post! Your content is very valuable to me and just make it as my reference. Keep blogging with new post! Unique and useful to follower....

Cheers,
caillou videos | caillou games | caillou party supplies

 
At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Glassware said...

A Fantastic range of modern and classic Glassware available at sensible prices to help create that perfect dining experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home